Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Delivery

Well DH had just left to go home around 10 P.M. (about a 30 minute drive from the hospital). I was having some pain and then as soon as I would have the pain I needed to RUN to the bathroom. It was day 3 of this routine. I went to bed with the pain but at around 2:30 in the morning I couldn’t take it anymore. I needed something. I ring the nurse and she comes. She calls the Dr. in and she comes in to check me. I was 2 cm dilated and 80 % effaced. I guess I had been in labor for a few days and no one knew it. The nurses said that I needed to go to labor & delivery for monitoring. Ok great. I can do this. I call DH and tell him that I would be there for monitoring—no big deal.

They wheel me over, and I was hooked up to the monitor for a bit while the nurses there asked me all kinds of questions. At this point, the resident was conferring with the head Dr. to see what was going to happen. Some people kept coming in and out of the room—hooking up a catheter, taking blood pressures, etc. Then I was asked to sign all kinds of consent forms for the c-section. What?!?!?! I’m having these babies right now???? The nurses shake their heads yes. I say, “I need to call my husband.” I called DH back and say, “You need to come NOW! We are having these babies.” Everything turned into a blur at this point. I remember wanting to get up to go to the bathroom but they wouldn’t let me. I was so cold. I was scared. I was shaking. I was alone. DH got there pretty quickly it seemed. As soon as he arrived, I was wheeled into the OR and given the spinal. I couldn’t feel ANYTHING! It was a weird feeling. (LOL). The team came in and got started right away. I really don’t know how long the whole thing lasted but it seemed quick to me. DH was in his scrub gear. I was surprised at how relaxed everyone was—they were even making jokes. I guess you need to put the patient at ease and they probably have done thousands of c-sections prior to mine. Why I thought I was special I'll never know.

Ryan was born at 5:12 A.M. weighing 3 lbs. 10 oz. 16 ½ inches. Kaylie was born at 5:14 A.M. weighing 1 lb. 14 oz. and 14 inches long-- classifying her as a micro-preemie. The only thing I wanted to hear was the sound of their cries. I heard their faint cries and that pretty much was it. Out of the corner of my eye I could see them being whisked away and MANY people working on suctioning and doing whatever it is that they do. I just laid there and prayed that they were going to make it as they stitched me up.

Recovery was okay. It took awhile for feeling to return to the lower half of my body. I really liked the warm blankets they put on you as I was shaking very badly. I did throw up once. All in all I made it through my first surgery. Little did I know the pain that would follow.

No comments: