Thursday, February 28, 2008

9-1-1

I had a scary mom moment today. I called 9-1-1. Kaylie was sitting in the Bumbo chair and all of the sudden began choking on A LOT of mucous/milk coming out of her nose and mouth. She has done this before but not nearly what I was seeing. Her eyes were popping out of her head and she couldn't get a breath. I was scared. I picked her up and tried to get her to stop the whole while thinking do I pat her on the back? Do I put her on my lap? I didn't know. I grabbed the nasal aspirator and used that while I was on the phone with 9-1-1. Soon the police and EMTs arrived. Kaylie is fine. She was smiling by the time they got there. I felt stupid for calling.
I may have jumped the gun with calling 9-1-1 but I needed someone to guide me if she stopped breathing. I now know that in these situations I panic. Not something I'm proud of. So I am signing up for an infant CPR course right away!
I think by being in the Bumbo all hunched over, the spit up had nowhere else to go so it went out her mouth and nose. But I have never seen so much in my life! I thank God she is okay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How scary! Let me know where/when you're going and maybe I'll join you. I keep saying I want to go before the babies start solids.
(linda98ny)

Harris Boys said...

poor thing..I'm so sorry. I had to call 911 2 weeks ago when Ethan had a seizure...its so scary, but that whats 911 is there for. And yes I need t sign up for a infant CPR class too. Gald everyone is ok, including mom!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I am happy to hear that she is doing ok now! Way to go calling 911 that quickly, I probably would have just freaked out and forgotten it existed.

We were required to take a CPR class before the babies came home, but I honestly don't think I would be able to use it in a situation like that. I am sure I would panic!

tbonegrl said...

We too were required to be trained in CPR before NICU discharge. How scary. Jack had two reflux-induced apnic episodes...scared me to death! gLAD YOU'RE ALL ok!